Slaying or Playing? #NicDoesReviews on Careline Play to Slay Full Face Palette

by - September 19, 2019

Clearly I am no make-up expert, in fact I am a notch lower than a novice, but hey I love make-up. My love of make-up, particularly 'drug-store' make-up, basically shows whenever I pass by the cosmetics section of our friendly department stores, where I couldn't resist to leave the vicinity without smearing eye shadows and lipsticks at the back of my hand. With that in mind, do I have the right to do this make-up review? Not really. However because I feel that I have a responsibility to spread the good word about inexpensive make-up to frugal women (like meeee 🙋‍♀️) out there, here I am with my make-up review of Careline Play to Slay Full Face Palette.


By 'Full Face' does this mean it also has lipstick and brows stuff?
Before we really dig deep about this pretty palette, let's talk about Careline for a brief moment first.

Earlier this year I posted about Careline's Kiss Sticks lipsticks, which I consider as one of my overall favorite lipsticks (Check it out HERE). There, I have mentioned how this brand evolved from being a child's play make-up that you won't take seriously, to a dependable make-up you should always stash in your purse-that you'd actually hoard it (with the shade Vacay as my favorite-and sadly the most bought shade which makes it harder for me to hoard).
Yes, I need to do this. Show your respect.
Careline, and it's older sister brand, Ever Bilena, made great changes to their cosmetics, as well as extended their product ranges to make-up tools. One of the positive evolution of Careline is...

I. PACKAGING



Careline had definitely amp-ed up their packaging. As seen on the quirky box, you can definitely feel the youthful vibes with the right amount of squiggles and doodles, but after opening the box and seeing the palette itself, I start to have a bit of second thoughts.

The palette covering have surely stayed true to the doodles from the box, however the quality and feel of the plastic only made me remember their old packaging, because it felt cheap and flimsy 😕


Another sad point here is they did not include names per pot of eyeshadow, highlight, and blush. Why does this matter? For me, if you know the name of a particular shade it'll be easier for you to teach others how to recreate your lewks by guiding them which is which you should use hahaha yessss expert, may recommendation part pa para i-recreate yung lewk.



But of course we are not only about criticisms here, let me point out things that I appreciated with the packaging of this palette. One of the things I love, aside from the aesthetic, is the full disclosure of ingredients used, and this nice reminder that no animal was tested and harmed in creating this beaut.


Another important thing to note is that make-up pot logo, which indicates the shelf-life of the product starting from the moment you have opened it. These important details are also available on the packaging of the make-up itself, and not only on the box ☝️

2. COLOR SELECTION AND PIGMENTATION
Row 1

Row 2

Row 3

Row 4 - Blushes

Row 5 - Highlighter
The color selection for this palette is 'on-fleek' 💁‍♀️💁‍♀️💁‍♀️ The coral eye make-up is IN right now, because it gives off a youthful, well-rested glow, in contrast to the sulky, sexy, but tiring look of smoky eyeshadow. Not everyone wants to look like they had a great night-out with Kelly Osbourne circa mid-noughties, hence this palette is the perfect solution.

As for the pigmentation, I have mix feels in this department. Generally, Careline's products pack with pigmentation, as seen on how their Kiss Sticks lipstick in Vacay can cover my dark lips without the fuzz. However basing on the pigmentation of this palette, not all shades are winners.


As seen on the swatch of all the colors from row 1 (apparently this is the closest thing I have to giving identity for each rectangle), the lightest one can't be seen on my wrist. Could this be because I am fair, and the color won't register to someone with the same skintone as I do? I don't think so, because make-up with really good pigmentation will still be noticeable even to the whitest woman alive. That also goes to the highlighter from row 5, because highlighters are supposed to BLIND you, but this one is like a flicker from a tired lighter. So that's a huhu for me.

On the good side of the spectrum, I adore the salmon-y pink one from the row 2. With just one swipe, the color quickly sticked to my skin! The blushes are also divine! Because I underestimated the pigmentation, I directly put the blush-ed brush to my cheeks, which made me look like a ripen peach.

Just an FYI, I didn't use primer, so who knows perhaps the underperforming shades may have a fighting chance when primers are involved.

3. FORMULATION




So much fall-out, particularly for those matte shades! If you're going to use them matte shades, better tap tap the brush first before swiping them to your lids, because chances are you'll have unwanted pigments on your cheeks. I suppose this is because the mattes are too powdery, borderline chalky 😕 Good thing the brighter and more pigmented hues really stick to my lids.

Now, this is contrary to the metallics. The metallics are more buttery in consistency, and they do register well on the skin 👏




 FINAL LEWK...




I, Nicole Alejandro, is pleased with how my make-up turned out. I think I have achieved the dewy, korean make-up look. In achieving this 'lewk', I also used the following:
🌸 Maybelline Superstay Full Coverage Powder Foundation in Ivory
🌸 Marc Jacobs Powder Foundation (I forgot the shade he he he hu hu)
🌸 Maybelline Hypercurl Mascara
🌸 E.L.F. Eyebrow Pomade Pot in Dark Brown (and it's partner eyebrow brush with spooley)
🌸 Daiso x Mickey Mouse Eyeshadow and Blush Brushes
🌸 Clay Blush and Lip Tint (forgot the brand)
🌸 Burt's Bees' lip balm (forgot the flavor hahaha)

But waaait, this review doesn't end there! I figured it's a must to also talk about the staying power of this palette. What better way to test this than to put on a full-face of make-up for a jampacked day of doing 2 Grand Openings in VERY SUNNY Davao city 💁‍♀️

At 10:30 A.M...


It's still there! As you can see here, the first thing to give up are my bangs 😕

At 2:30 P.M...


This is when the heat starts to take toll of me. Because of heavily oily lids of mine, the color starts to pool on the outer corners of my eyes! Hahaha! 

At 5:30 P.M...

My bangs and eyeshadow had finally given up. Look at that weird streak line of Salmon in the middle of my right eye 🙃 Hahahahahah! How I badly need a shower now.

FINAL VERDICT:

I like this palette, but I don't love it. To be fair though, this palette is retailed at Php 279.00 only or roughly $6+, and it's available in almost every drugstore and department stores nationwide (I stumbled upon one of Gaisano's OLD department store, and was able to see this bibi being sold there), so you can say this is still a bang for your buck- Just don't expect to see the same results as you would have with MAC ☝️

I also have to consider the fact that I did not use any primer, so that could be a factor why its staying power is lackluster 💁‍♀️

Soooo, would I recommend it? Sure, I think this is a good product for people who are beginning to explore, and experiment make-up, since it doesn't need rocket science to figure out how to use it. Its price is competitive, and I think this will last you 6 months with daily use. This is also a good product for moments where you need emergency make-up for emergency events that were relayed to you 2 hours prior the event 😂😂😂😂 Ok, that's just too close to home.

That's it pancit 🙋‍♀️

Love always,

Nicole 🌸


You May Also Like

0 Comments