How to Plan a 5-Day Trip To Fukuoka #NicGoesToFukuoka - Rewind

by - October 16, 2019


Looking back to my blogs about my trip last year, I noticed I never really divulge on the nitty gritty details, or the behind-the-scenes of my first ever trip to Japan. Most of my blogs are centered on stories rather than the practical ones. Well then, let me indulge people's (2 of my friends, to be exact) request by providing a detailed blog focusing on the financial matters of a trip.

Ok, so let's begin with...


Whenever I tell about the tale of how I got 2 round trip tickets going to Fukuoka for Php 3,000+ only, people around me react like this:
#SHOOKETH
Some would argue that you can't even get this SWEET SWEET deal during Cebu Pacific P1SO fare promos- I mean yes, your 3k could only get you 1 round trip ticket to HK at most. So how did I get this?

YAAAS!
Yup, I got lucky because of my meager GetGo points I was able to score tickets that enable me to pay Php 3,000+ only!

TIP #1: Create a GetGo Account HERE
No joke, this should be a part of your rewards card collection! In fact, this should be placed next to your SM Advantage Card, because you can actually use it to avail discounts not only with airfare, or any travel-related deals (10% off on hotel accomodations!), but also with food and leisure activities! Oha, sige nga SM Advantage card, ano laban mo? HAHAHA JK LANG!

TIP #2: Keep your eyes peeled for P1SO Fare Sales!


If you have to keep yourself awake at 12 midnight, please do! Majority of suuuuuper affordable ticket prices promo are announced at 12 midnight sharp! Also, mark all the notable holidays, and even the quirky 10.10's and 11.11's in your calendar, because usually Cebu Pacific put on promos on these dates! 

Also, BE VERY QUICK! Given that the prices of the tickets are ridiculously low, it's not only you who wants to get their hands on these great deals! Make sure you have stable internet, and a credit card handy hahaha!

A tiny tip: Always have a photo of your passport, and your travel buddy's passport saved on your phone! In that case you can readily input your details for an easier booking!

If you are a lazy nut, why not try having someone do the dirty work for you:
Check it out HERE

Now that is settled, let's proceed with...

TIP #3: AirBnb is your new bestfriend!
Ok, now this one varies per person's tastes. Some travelers would rather rough it up, and have more funds for pasalubongs, while some would opt to splurge for comfier accomodations. But if you are like me, this is your best option: 
Oh AirBnB, you almost made us homeless in Fukuoka! Curious? Click HERE to know what happened.

But if you don't really give a s**t about what happened, and would only like to know how to choose a bnb in Fukuoka, well here you go:

> Opt for properties near Hakata Station. Hakata Station is LITERALLY 10 minutes (or less) away from the airport! 

> Keep in mind that properties near Hakata Station are pricier than other properties in Fukuoka. You can also choose places in Tenjin, since Tenjin is more like the Shinjuku of Kyushu where you can do fun things like eat in yatais on the side of the river.

> Book Early! Yes, the saying, 'Early birds get the worms' is legit. If you book early, there's a big chance that you'll get to save more money, and that you'll have plenty of places to choose from.

> Double check the place you wanted to book. Like what happened to us for our first booked place, we found out that the property was not registered in their local government, leaving us problematic on getting a newer place with the same price. So make sure to talk to your host a month before your trip, so you guys are on the same page.

> Some properties provide free WiFi device that you can bring anywhere with you during your trip, while some can also provide you with free bicycles that you can use to roam around Hakata.


For this accommodation, we only paid Php 6,504.70 for 5 nights. Not bad, diba?

Or you can also check out EXPEDIA for affordable hotels! I was able to 'reserve' a hotel for 5 days for a future trip next year, and the price #SHOOKETH me! By 'Reserve' it means you'll only need to pay for your accomodation on the very moment you step foot on the hotel. However with this option (and the actual booking option), you'll need a credit card to do so.

As mentioned, we are lucky to have free WiFi device along with the accommodation, so connection to the internet was not a problem for us. But in the event that you are not fortunate enough to avail Free Wifi, then I suggest:

TIP #4: Buy a Japan Sim Card!
Sure, you get to see a LOT of offers online for Wifi eggs and other connectivity devices that charges around Php 200-500 per day, and on top of that you also have to pay for a security deposit of around Php 2,000++. But if you are as thrifty as me, I suggest you opt for a Japan Sim Card instead:


So far this is the best deal I found in the internet! Upon checking the reviews, the sim card works hahaha! HERE's the link if you wanna check it out.

However, you have to keep in mind that this sim card can only be used with an open-line phone, meaning if you got your phone off a cellular line (e.g. Globe or Smart), I doubt this sim card will work despite having a phone with dual sim capabilities.

Ok, moving forward, let's now proceed with...

TIP #4: Apply for Visa 3 weeks before your trip!
Just the right time. I got this advice from my ex's mom when we told her about this trip before. She told us not to apply for visa very early or very late, so opt for at least 3 weeks before the actual trip. I got mine 3 days after I applied, but of course this will be on a per case basis.

For all of my Japan visa applications, my go-to is RELI TOURS. Why, you ask? Well, because they have a lot of branches nationwide, and they actually have a website where you can check ALL of the requirements needed for applying for a visa.

TIP #5: Don't mention in your visa application that you'll be staying in an AirBnb!
I have no idea why, but this is another advice I got from my ex's mom that I follow suit.

I won't dive in that much regarding the visa application, given that there are LOTS of blogs that can cater to that. For further questions, I'll probably write an FAQ instead- NAKS! But yeah, I paid Php 950 for the visa processing fee. This is non-refundable, ok? Unfortunately if you got denied, you won't be able to get the money back, so please MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE THE RIGHT AND COMPLETE DOCUMENTS! <---- Yes, let's stress this one out.

Now that we have that out of our hair, and pre-empting that our visas are on hand...

GET READY FOR JAPAN!

TIP #6: If Possible, pay for your travel tax online!
Back in January during our trip to Hong Kong, I remember fully understanding the power of getting things done online. Since most people are flying back to their jobs abroad, THERE ARE A LOT OF PEOPLE IN THE AIRPORT, so of course there are a lot of people queuing in the travel tax counter. 

Although, you can also pay for it inside after you have managed to check-in, but there's a Php 100 additional payment for it.

My thrifty butt is opposing
I paid Php 1,620 for this travel tax, huhuhu. If you are as fortunate as my niece, who is an American citizen, or if you are not a citizen of The Philippines you won't need to pay for this.

Ok great, now you landed in...


One of the costly matters in trips to Japan would be fares. Usually a train ride going to places would set you an average of 150 to 250 yen per trip. If you are as thrifty as I am, you can also opt for a bus ride, which is cheaper than trains, but trickier since their routes are more confusing than taking a train with a clear as a day route.

But lucky you, Fukuoka only has 2 major train lines, and their buses' routes are so easy to understand. I suppose I have allotted at least Php 2,500+ for it, since majority of our trip we actually walked to places. Like for instance, if we want to go to Tenjin, we just walk from our BnB nearby Hakata Station; Same goes whenever we feel like going for a midnight visit at the Don Quijote in Nakasu Kawabata. Looking back, I think the most costly train ticket we got was for our trip to Nanzoin temple, which I vaguely remember cost us ¥ 1,200 round trip, or around Php 600+ per person.

Your ¥ 1,200 yen train fare is worth it when you see this!
I think I mentioned in a previous blog that Hakata Station, the train hub of all Kyushu, is around 5-10 minutes away from the airport. With that, the transpo we shelled out wasn't heavy on the pockets. We only paid ¥ 260 coming from the airport to Hakata Station.

TIP #7: DO BUY an Unlimited Tourist Pass!
This is one thing that I regret not doing when we went there. When we went to Fukuoka, we didn't really plan stuff rigidly, we just let things be, and to be honest I liked it that way. But if you are more into that by the books planning, I think an unlimited tourist pass is your best bet to maximizing a day. For more info about this, you may check out their site HERE

You can use your pass to ride a bus or a train going to Ohori park!

TIP #8: Get yourself a PASMO Card!

... Or a Suica! While we are still talking about transportation, one of the best things I have discovered is the PASMO card- although I wasn't able to discover it sooner in Fukuoka, it definitely made my life easier in Tokyo. What are these PASMO AND SUICA stuff am I talking about? These are equivalent to our Beep cards (Philippines), or Octopus cards (Hong Kong), where you can use these reloadable cards on most kinds of transportations, and sometimes food items in convenience stores. 

Upon checking, Pasmo is accepted in a lot of places in Japan, and that includes Fukuoka. So why do you need it, you ask? Well, here are the reasons:

> No need to fumble over your money every time you have to hop in a train or a bus. This is very helpful in riding buses, because when paying with cash, you have to pay the exact amount, otherwise say goodbye to the change that will never be given to you.

> You can use this to pay for drinks in vendo machines. You see, all of Japan has vendo machines in every corner, and yes even in the countryside. For quick buys of thirst quenchers, you can just tap your Pasmo, and voila! Your thirst will now be quenched-chos.

> No additional taxes in paying for stuff. Pretty much in the States, things you see are not yet the final price, taxes will only reflect when you are about to pay it- although there are also some items that indicate already how much you'll be paying plus tax. But what's different is, there are some stores that offer tax-free for tourists- will discuss about that in a bit. Anyway, I once used my Pasmo to pay for my Onigiri in Lawson, and lo and behold I was only charged the original price without tax, compared to paying with cash. Sugoi Ne, indeed!

Ok, now that we have covered the transpo, let's proceed with what ate up most of my budget...



It's an understatement to say that Japan has great food, because really EVERYTHING THEY MAKE YOU PUT IN YOUR BELLY IS AMAZING! One of the biggest misconception of people is that food in Japan is expensive, which is one of the most false thing I have ever heard. In fact, food in Japan is actually affordable-that is if you know where to find the good stuff *wink*

TIP #9: Set a believable budget on food per day!
I miss you already, Ichiran <3
My mindset on spending for food in Japan is this: 'You have to splurge, you have to save' which means I make it a point that I get to eat somewhere slightly pricey, while also keeping my other meals for the day on a budget. For example, if I'll be treating myself for dinner to a full set of Ramen + Extra Chashu + Seaweed + Salted Egg in Ichiran that will cost me around ¥ 1,200 or Php 600+, then I make it a point  to have a more affordable lunch bowl of Gyudon in Sukiya for ¥ 400  or Php 200 pesos, or grab me some Onigiri and Cold Soba from Famima (or Family Mart) that will cost me ¥ 400.

In total, I set a budget of Php 1,500 for food per day. If I have extra money, that's when I get to treat myself to a decadent Godiva Dark Chocolate Frappe *Drooling* 

TIP #10: Buy food from Supermarkets- Plus points if you buy by the end of the day!
Why plus points? Because by the end of the day, these food items (like the one above) are discounted. So from their original price of ¥ 270, you can enjoy it for ¥ 180 by the end of the night! Also, you can buy some for your breakfast the next day- given that you can stow these in the mini fridge to keep it from spoiling.



TIP #11: If you're paying with your credit card, choose Yen over Peso!


The Zara in this mall has the best deals! 
I'm not going to give a ball-park figure on how much you should have in your pockets allocated for shopping (and well, it depends on your preferences on things you want to buy) but I'm telling you, you don't need A LOT to get great deals. Speaking of great deals, should you ever wish to pay with your credit card, opt to pay Local Currency, as compared to Peso-or whatever is the currency of your credit card. I read in an article that technically you get charged 3% more if you decide to convert from Japanese Yen to your country's currency. You can read more about it HERE

TIP #12: Check the shops if they offer tax refunds, or if they are tax-free for foreigners!

Most of the time, there are stores that offer tax-free if your purchases accumulated to ¥ 5,500 and above, and most of the time the outlets give these kinds of deals- oh and Don Quijote as well (I will do a separate blog on Donki, because it deserves its own spotlight hahaha!) I think this is perfect if you'll be buying Pasalubongs or gifts, because if you buy more you'll be able to save more. However, sometimes if you opt to reach for a tax-free purchase, they seal the items, and will inform you that you can only use it once you left the country.



*Taking in consideration that we did not visit places that need entrance fees*

There you have it! Going to Japan is not mega expensive, it's just a matter of finding good deals, and being thrifty HAHAHA! Now, please book that flight, and visit Fukuoka!


Love Always,
Nicole 

You May Also Like

0 Comments