Into The Unknown #NicGoesToTheNorth

by - February 21, 2020


I am a firm believer of, 'better late than never', hence let me start with that time I went up North... on my own.



As I have mentioned in a couple of posts from before, I don't like travelling domestic. Things have 'sort of' changed when I began working as a brand manager, where I ended up being sent to different places locally to check out branches, and to help our employees in selling our motorcycles.

I have also mentioned before that before my Candon, Ilocos Sur trip, the farthest I have been was San Fernando, La Union. Oh boy, I guess God wanted me to go further, because destiny sent me speeding to Laoag, Ilocos Norte.

After 12 hours of non-stop bus ride, I don't think I could manage to be this cheerful
  Just a funny thought, I actually stayed in Laoag for only 2 hours, and after that I rushed to the bus terminal for my next trip to Batac.


Going to Batac from Laoag, it only took me 30 minutes riding an ordinary bus. While I would opt to ride an air-conditioned bus since November in the Philippines is a sweltering 30 degrees, sadly there are no available ones at that time. Despite the heat, the warm wind coming from the windows are actually calming, enough to make me fall asleep HAHAHA




After an hour, and a good empanada, I left Batac for Vigan, and there I decided to stay for the night. What's funny about staying in Vigan was my accommodations that night. Since I wasn't able to book for a hotel prior to the trip, I decided to wing it and let my colleagues working in Vigan choose a hotel in my behalf. They ended up choosing Coffee Swings, which is a good budget hotel perfect for big group accommodations- and yep, that's when the plot thickens...

*stroking my non-existent beard*
Because of my late reservation, the only room left for me is a big one, how big you ask? It's good for 10 people! Yup, it's a Barkada room, perfect for a big group of friends who are travelling together! This means I have a spacious room with 5 beds ALL TO MYSELF! I remember being scared with so much space, where I can't help but imagine that soon a ghost will manifest in front of me or something! Good thing nothing bad happened to this lone girl.



For day 2's itinerary, I left Vigan in the morning to make sure I was able to cover our branches in Candon, Ilocos Sur, San Fernando, La Union, and Agoo, La Union. That day was a series of hop-in, hop-on of provincial buses, where no matter how drowsy I was, I made sure to sleep with one eye open in case we arrived to my destination earlier than expected.


But not all bus rides made me drowsy, the ordinary bus I took from Agoo going to Baguio was akin to riding a rollercoaster- sans the heart pounding drops. Much like in Laoag going to Batac, there are very limited air-conditioned buses going from Agoo to Baguio, hence why I opted for this buwis buhay ride with an ordinary bus.

I also remember sitting next to a kid whose knuckles are firmly gripping the back handle of the seats, asking his mom, 'Ma, baket ang alog ng bus?' Same sentiments my friend.



During my time in Baguio, I stayed at Elmar's Cabin, which is a hotel but feels like a home. Almost similar to my experience at Coffee Swings, my room in Elmar was big with a bunker bed that could accommodate 4 people. Although at Elmar's Cabin the room I stayed at has a TV, and a Wi-fi, so I was able catch up on my favorite show.

Oh nanny Fine <3



Sinabi mo pa!


After doing all my tasks for that day, I decided to wander around Baguio and try to recreate one of my favorite activities as a kid, and that is...


... Visiting Mines View Park! When we were younger, our parents always bring us to Baguio, especially during long weekends, and whenever my dad has work-which is quite often, come to think of it. One of our favorite destinations is Mines View Park, mainly because it have a great view of the mountains, and it has a lot of shops on its entrance.






All throughout this trip I remember feeling kinda lonely, because it's my first time to go to the northern parts of the Philippines on my own, and well it sure helps if you have someone to talk to after a looooong day of branch inspections, and bus rides. However all the loneliness seemed to have vanished away when I found myself sitting at the very spot where me and my dad always sat on when I was little. For some reason, I felt his presence reassuring me that I am not alone appreciating this wonderful view, and like for the little coconut head Nicole he's there with me in spirit ♥

YUMMEHHHH HUHUHU!


And that's it for my time roaming around Region 1 in 4 days alone ❥ and in true Nicocosity blogging spirit, here are some tiny tips I can impart for those who wanted to backpacking trip to the North:

1. Bring a small sling bag. As many as a backpack can accommodate stuff, I find it inconvenient to constantly take it off your bag just so you can get something from it. I recommend bringing a small one where you can out your necessities that you want easier access of, just like: fare tickets, katinko, phone, biscuits, etc.

2. Be vigilant! While Filipinos are very hospitable, the Philippines is not exactly as safe as it is in Japan or Korea. So whenever you hsve to walk to some alley or street, walk with purpose! Make sure to appear sure of where you are heading, so you won't be an easy target for the next modus operandi.

3. Book your hotel in advance! Nothing is as stressful than being launched into the unknown without an idea where you'll be sleeping that night 😅

So there you have it, I have more trips within the Philippines soon and more bus rides hoooreyhuhuhu which means more blog content hahahah!

Road in Baguio en route to Manila

Love Always,
Nicole

You May Also Like

0 Comments