The Book Hoarder Chronicles: National Bookstore's Book Binge Bazaar

by - February 18, 2018



I love books, I really really do, that's why I am more willing to spend money on a new novel, than splurging on other stuff like clothes. That's why when I found out about National Bookstore's Book Binge Book Fair, my world stopped for a minute, much like how Ewan McGregor's character felt when he first saw the love of his life in the movie, Big Fish.

This, THIIIS!


At first, I was a bit hesitant to actually do some full splurging on this bazaar, since also in February there will be another book fair which is The Big Bad Wolf Book Fair. I actually set a meager budget, and even wrote a list of the books I have specifically intended to purchase- oh boy, how I have forgotten about the list when I get there.


 The book binge bazaar was last week, and until now, I still feel this certain high from being surrounded by amazing books at discounted prices! Waaaaah, I was in heaven back then!

Sooooo, I actually went to the book binge bazaar twice. One was last Friday, Feb. 9, right after I got off from work. I remember feeling sooo ecstatic, that I did not mind riding a jampacked bus just so I could go to SM Megamall faster- since the queue to ride the MRT is just plain unbearable.

Once I finally arrived in SM Megamall (after an hour and 10 minutes, because Friday night traffic is the worst), then the megatrade (where the book binge was at), I saw this:


Yup, there were a lot of human beings scourging through numerous tables full of good reads. It's not as crazy as I was expecting, but there were some few instances where I saw some assholes pilfering books from other people's carts while they aren't looking. Since I arrived pretty late already, I resorted to buying 5 books only that day; I bought 2 fashion books for Php 275 each (original worth of each book is Php 1,000 and above), 2 novels with one worth Php 175 and another one for Php 75, and lastly a children's book for my niece, which is worth Php 175. For the 1st night, my total bill was Php 975-which is good, but I thought then, I could do better, that's why I decided to go back again the next day... the moment the mall opened its doors.
Just imagine, I arrived at around 9:50 which is 10 minutes before the openining of the mall, and once the mall opened its doors I was the first one to rush to the megatrade, and yet there's a queue waiting for meeee! But luckily, it wasn't a looong one, and it moved pretty fast.

Since I was on a mission to get as much books as possible, I wasn't able to take a lot of photos. My eyes are focused on finding myself a copy of Ransom Riggs' Tales of the Peculiar, which I unfortunately wasn't able to get my hands on *cue sad face*. However, I did score a lot of books that were quite hard to find in that book bazaar.

By the way, I wasn't able to mention, you see most of the books sold at the Book Binge were Young Adult Novels and Children's books. There were some fiction books, but not as abundant as Levithan's Another Day, or the Bane Chronicles. Majority of the books sold were retailed at Php 175, while lifestyle books are at Php 275, which is the ceiling price of the books sold-the imported ones that is. So, just imagine how seeing people pushing carts bulging with books is just a natural phenomena that day.

This is a logical action. I am helping the economy.
I suppose, the ultimate tips/advise I could give to people, just in case the Book Binge Bazaar would do an encore, are:

1. Opt for the plastic basket/cart/trolley type instead of this metallic piece of shit. You see, there are a lot of people milling around desks cluttered with books, where if you decide to also have a look while pushing this you'll definitely have a hard time checking out desks after desks. Unlike if you use the smaller ones, you can still go to the narrow bookshelves without rolling onto other people's feet.
2. If you see something interesting, grab it! There's a big chance that if you go leave it on the desk, you wouldn't find the same copy again. 
3. Find a small nook near the corners where you can sift through the books. Let's be realistic here, we really don't have all the money in the world to purchase everything we see (unless you do, you lucky asshole, skip this one), hence the reason why you have to re-evaluate whether all the books you have dumped in your basket should be given a chance to proceed to the check-out counter.
4. Shop with a friend! I noticed how this is really helpful, since 2 pairs of eyes are definitely better than one pair in finding a certain title. Also, with a friend, you can easily ask him or her to guard your basket while you try to check out the nooks with less spaces. However, in the event that you go there alone, it won't hurt if you make friends with a fellow bookworm, which I did! In the end, I did not only scored amazing books, I also gained new book recos and a friend. Win-win 👌
5. Go early! Even though the staff do stock new books by the hour, it's still best to go early since there are definitely more choices in the morning.
6. Eat something light! It's never fun shopping if you are feeling hypoglycemic!
7. Be very patient! Always check the weird nooks, because most often than not, sought-after titles are hidden in the most unexpected places.

After 2 shopping trips to the Book Binge, I have acquired a total of 25 books which cost me Php 4,500+, which I think originally would have cost me more than Php 10,000. Now, excuse me as I pay my credit card hahaha!

Nvm the They Both Die at the end and the thousandth floor because I bought that before mehehe!
Love Always,
Nicole 📚🎈

You May Also Like

0 Comments