Nic Just Wanna: Do Pen Review - Artline Supreme Brush Marker

by - June 09, 2018

Going to the mall is pretty much a daily occurence in my life, especially since in order for me to go home I have to go pass 4 huge malls. Sure, it is hella fun seeing stores brimming with things you wanted to waste your money on, but of course over-buying stuff isn't fun.


Given that, it's no surprise that a random trip to SM department store's stationery section after a bid, I'd end up taking home 2 new pens. As of this moment I try my best not to buy a lot of art materials because of 3 reasons:
1. I want to REALLY use each art materials that I buy, before buying other brands.
2. I still have a lot at home, hence it just feels unnecessary to keep on buying stuff.
3. I'm going to Japan (the land of amazing art stuff and pens) soon, and I wanna save money (and storage) for it.

But because I've been too curious about this certain pen for sometime already, I decided to give in to the urge and get myself 2 colors of Artline Supreme Brush Marker.


I got myself 2 markers in colors Plum and Dark Teal, because the Black one is out of stock- which is pretty much a usual scenario in stationery shops. Though, before I had apprehensions on whether to get myself one, because I thought perhaps this will be just a glorified, and a little bit more expensive older sister version of the Artline Stix (the one that looks like lego). However despite of this, I ended up buying 2 pcs, these retails for Php 59.75 or around $1, which is Php 20 more expensive than the Artline Stix lines. Also, unlike Artline Stix, the Artline Supreme Brush Markers are sold separately. I did ask the salesgirl if ever they will sell these babies in sets, just like the Artline Stix (which comes in 4s. 12s, and 24s sets), unfortunately this won't seem too likely to happen.

Sad
Sooooo, let us start the quick review of this pen, shall we?


Obviously, this is a brush pen perfect for making calligraphy. I did not find it difficult to maneuver, because the brush tip is not too soft or flimsy, nor is it too hard or rigid that it disables the pen to make flexible strokes. Another thing worth noting about the pen is its body, because it's kinda curved so I find it easier to handle, unlike the Artline Stix. Sure, the novelty of the lego-like packaging of the stix is appealing, but hell I find it hard to grip on it! But in terms of the brush tips, I see some improvements in the Supreme line compared to the Stix, however I do have a feeling that it might be easy get frayed, so it's a must to use it in an angle to preserve its form.

As for making thin and thick lines, I don't think it is as versatile as the Pilot Petit Fude pen or the Tombow ABT brushpen, but meh, it still do wonders in making lines without any hassle. Moving on to the ink, and how pigmented it is, somehow it kind of reminds me of Sharpie brush pens-minus the toxic smell of course! But unlike the Sharpie ones, it's not as strong since the ink of Artline Supreme doesn't bleed out at the back of the paper despite doing 2 layers.

Clap clap
As I have mentioned awhile ago, this retails for Php 59.75 or $1 and is available in 20 colors (well, around 10 colors are in stock when I saw it yesterday), which is perfect for those who are beginning to try out calligraphy without the commitment of spending a lot on materials. However, another thing worth noting about the Artline Supreme is that I haven't seen it anywhere yet except in SM department store stationery area in SM Megamall and in shopee : here  (it's also more affordable here). Given that, it's just sad because it's not as accessible like its pricier competitors (I'm looking at you Zig and Tombow).

Cersei ain't pleased
Anyway, here's an artwork I did using these pens

Materials used: Artline Supreme Brushpens in Plum and Teal, Sakura Gelly Roll in crystal and white soufflé, Zig kuretake brushpen in Gray, and random scratch paper from the office hahaha👌

To cap it all off, here's the quick Pros and Cons:

Pros:
👍 At Php59.75 it is a steal, a good alternative to pricier ones that retails at Php100 and above.
👍 Available in multiple colors.
👍 Easy to use, favorable to beginners of calligraphy.
👍 Very pigmented.
👍 Can do thin and thick lines without a sweat.

Cons:
👎 Not as accessible as its competitors.
👎 It's water-based so you can't use it in any surface (unlike the Sharpie Brush pens).
👎 It appears that it may fray easily, but then again it depends on the person using it.
👎 Not available in sets.

Given that, I'd probably give this pen a 4/5 👌👌👌👌. It may not be the best I have used, but it indeed impressed me. 4 for you Glen Coco!


Love Always,
Nicole 🍋

You May Also Like

1 Comments

  1. Fantastic Post! Lot of information is helpful in some or the other way. Keep updating.multifunction calligraphy markers

    ReplyDelete