#NicDoesThings - Unicorn Day with Class Act Ph

by - June 11, 2019




If you were to tell me that I'll be teaching a workshop from months back, I'd probably respond with a...

Ows
... I would definitely not believe it. This is not because I am shy, or terrified of talking in front of people, but it's just that I don't think I am a master of my own craft. With that mindset, I figured I am not the best candidate to teach younglings about polymer clay or calligraphy.

HOWEVER, given that the universe has it's tricky way of playing you, I ended up giving in, then tried reaching out to well-known crafting communities in the Philippines.


CraftMNL is a community of artists, makers, creators. and many more, who provides an outlet for their co-artists, makers, creators, and many more to learn, teach, and basically appreciate art. With that, they actually host a bunch of workshops in different areas of art, for all ages- which makes it perfect for me to reach out for them for a collab.

It's nice that they were able to recognize me as soon as I sent them a proposal email, not because Class Act Ph is a big shot, but because they are also the brains behind Makers' Market, which on the other hand is a collaborative team who puts out bazaars that sell only handmade local goods. Last November, I had a tiny shelf laid out at a Makers' showcase, where I was able to sell some of Class Act Ph creations. I think with that, it was easy to persuade them in giving me a shot.

Exact depiction on how the agreement went between me and craft mnl


But of course, not all things went swimmingly well, despite having all the preps done, no one registered for my workshop with them *cue sad music*

Exact depiction of my feels
I guess I wasn't able to market it properly, or that people are just not that interested with unicorns? Hahaha! Oh well, rather than cry over it, I just learned better not to see this as a discouragement to push for a workshop, so I moved on...

It is completely understandable to not want to try out for another one after a failed attempt, but hey I am not called, 'matigas ang ulo' by my parents for nothing! Hahaha! So, I partnered with The Craft Central to put together a workshop at Ayala Vertis North 🤗

For those who are not yet acquainted with The Craft Central how dare you , a quick intro would be : It is a magical consignment store full of craftsy and artsy stuff, like calligraphy tools, fun stickers, and even succulent holders. Given that it's a safe haven for people who loves art, it comes no surprise that they also host workshops with different artists and makers, to further encourage people to try out a new hobby- despite having 0% skillzzz or talent in art.

Going back to the workshop, unlike with my failed attempt with CraftMNL, I got participants for my workshop at Ayala Vertis North!
Totally unrelatable to the topic, but hey cute gif 👏


Last Saturday I had my very first workshop! Woot woot! I had 5 participants, and we had a swell time talking about crafts, tricks in using polymer clay, and even some life advice thrown at random times (i.e. life advice provided not only be me hahaha).





My unicorn bebe

The workshop lasted from 1 to 5:00 p.m., where we gobbled on nachos and fries while we get our hands dirty in creating our own little baby charms.

Elise's unicorn bb with an eksaheradang horn
Ana's masterpiece 💕👏
Aiza's pabibong Bangwinkon Unicorn
The husband and wife, Mark and Eunisse's work. Don't worry, di pa yan tapos hahahaha 👏👏👏👏☝
After this workshop, I have definitely learned a lot! And these are:

1. If at first you don't succeed, try again! You never know what will happen, unless you try.
2. It's ok to fail, and there's nothing wrong about admitting defeat. Be humble, learn from things, then go and strike back again.
3. I am surrounded by amazing people! I have my family, and friends that are so supportive and loving! Really, the only thing I can boast about in my life is not the possessions nor the places I have been to, but the people who are there with me always- and that is something money cannot ever buy.
4. Carrying an oven toaster and 5 lbs of polymer clay around the mall is a good workout for the arms (Tessa Thompson arms, here we gooo!)

I love you po
So what's next? I haven't figured it out to be honest, but I am definitely not closing my doors for a second wave of workshops with either CraftMNL or The Craft Central, and I am also cooking a collab plan with a dear friend who pioneered Workshop Manila. But as of this moment, the only confirmed workshop I have will be with Paper Kitten & Co. which will be a calligraphy workshop for the Bujo Pop Art Market this July.


So there you have it! Should you guys feel like wanting to share your expertise in the art department, whether you are a master at paper maché, or an expert trapestry weaver, go and have a workshop too! Email the guys of CraftMNL and The Craft Central, and they'll definitely accomodate to you 🤗 Also, hope you guys will join me on my next adventures with Class Act Ph 👏

Kute forevermore💕👍😚
Love always, 💝

Nicole

P.S.
I am still not a master, but sharing your talents is also a good way of learning more about your craft 🤗 Cheers!

P.P.S.
Thank you, CraftMNL and The Craft Central for giving me an opportunity to share my talents to other people.

P.P.P.S. (luh hahaha)
Thank you to my family, and my friends for everything!

You May Also Like

4 Comments

  1. To more workshops in the future, kuts! �� loveyouuu and congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kutsypie 😍😙 next time sama ka na plz 😙😙😙😙

      Delete