Are there really perks for being a wallflower?

by - February 25, 2012

 "We accept the love we think we deserve"

First of all, this is not a book review. Second, this is a blog post about *deep breath* emotions... and feelings (LOL JOKE). I just finished reading the book The Perks of Being a Wallflower by author Stephen Chbosky, and it left me feeling lost. For sure a lot of people, dead or alive, had already read it and probably blogged about it, and I can't blamed them because the book is just fantastic-Fantastic enough to leave me at a desperate and psychologically unstable (nah, just exaggerating) state. The last book that left me with so much angst was Never let me go by Kazuo Ishiguro, and I swear I still feel a bit of those pain even if I read it several months ago.


What I really like about this book, is the fact that it is very personal. A friend of mine told me that she didn't like the way Stephen Chbosky narrated the story, but for me I really didn't find anything for me not to like it. The way he narrated it reminded me of the book 13 reasons why by Jay Asher and Love, Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli, which is written in a 'diary' like format and are my favorites. Another thing admirable about this book is, it made me curious to listen to different music (preferrably from the 80's and early 90's) and to expand my reading horizons (I've been stuck to the mentality that I only like Young Adult genre books). Right now, all I want to do is listen to The Smith's Asleep (oh and Emily Browning's version of this song is splendid), and go search for the book Naked Lunch or that poetry book by E.E. Cummings. Oh, and guess what? It'll be a motion picture, where Emma Watson will play Sam and Logan Lerman will play Charlie :) *can't wait*


The word that popped out of my mind when I tried to describe this book is poignant. Poignant, meaning it's powerful enough to affect me, yet passive cause the effect is not that instant. I remember feeling this 'lost' melancholic way when I read Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger in December of 2009. Just like Catcher, I felt that messy depressed sensation, however unlike Catcher this story affected me like 5 hours or something after I read it. It gave me this feeling where I ask myself: "So, what's next?" and "Will there be anything to be considered as 'next'?" Because of that, I'm sure the book has been effective to remind me of pain.


This book reminded me of pain, which is not really a bad thing. I've learned in this book to acknowledge how you feel, to cry when you feel like it, and to go move on. Like what Charlie said :"because things change. and friends leave. and life doesn't stop for anybody", life goes on, but of course a person must fully understand and accept the past and move on... since the only way to go is to go forward. And by then, I bet it will feel infinite.

Love,
Nicoco♥

P.S.
All the pictures came from tumblr :')

You May Also Like

0 Comments