The dead stays 17 forever.

by - April 22, 2013


Last year, I made a blog post about the feels I have gained when I finished reading Stephen Chbosky's The Perks of Being a Wallflower. After a year and two months, I am about to do the same with another book (Remember, this is not a book review since I won't really be doing a synopsis because I suck in summarizing), and that book is *drum roll*...


Yes, the book about the romantic coming-of-age of young Toru Watanabe, that is Norwegian Wood. I just finished reading it recently (by recently, I mean 5 hours ago), so the feelings and emotions the book have cause me is pretty fresh.


I remember when I bought it last December (yes, you read it right) I was a bit skeptic about it, because I've heard a lot of comments that Murakami's writing style tends to be complex, and it made me intimidated (I have this notion that the only genre that could humor me is Young Adult). I guess that's pretty much a reason why it took me so long before I started devouring the pages of this wonderfully relatable novel.

So after 4-5 months of having it gathering dust in my bookshelf, I've finally read it, and I must say that I'm glad I just read it recently, because with the events happening right now (Me turning 20, missing someone, April, and constantly craving for Japanese food), I was able to relate soooooo much to the story. Despite it being a masterpiece penned by Murakami, it was a fair read, meaning I did not have any difficulty reading it. If I've read this novel earlier or later, I don't think the impact of the story would be so strong.


Anyway, a brief synopsis of the book meh I contradict myself sooo much : The story is about a protagonist who becomes nostalgic about his past. The protagonist, Toru Watanabe narrated the story on how was his life like when he was 18 in a non-restful 1969 Japan. He was head over heels in love with his dead best friend's girlfriend Naoko, whom is damaged because of far deeper roots. But because of Naoko's unstableness, Toru has no choice but to let her breathe and have space for her to be better. While waiting, Toru finds himself getting closer to a voraciously liberated girl, that is Midori... and the plot thickens :))


Oh, by the way the story was made into a movie in 2010 with the same title :) (of which I haven't seen yet)... So, this book is just so awesome that words can never ever ever describe or define it perfectly. It has themes/topics/subjects like Love, Death, Friendship, Depression, Mental illnesses, Sex and everything else that will definitely make one relate to it-no wonder it was like the favorite book of the Japanese youth. But Japanese or not, 20 or not, In love or not, lost someone or not, one can definitely be 'hit' so hard with this book. This book is just Fucking GREAT!

Love,
Nicoco

P.S.

The pics used were from Tumblr :)

Oh and...
Listen ♥


You May Also Like

0 Comments