Eat, Work, and DURIAAAAN #NicGoesToDavao

by - September 27, 2019

Sad Fact: It's my first time in Davao.
Sadder Fact: I came for work.
Saddest Fact: Samal Island is only an hour away 🙃


Here's the thing, I was only informed that I'll be flying to Davao 4 business days prior to the actual flight, which means I have to do budgets and bookings in that short span of time! So why was I brought here on such a whim? I had to help out and oversee grand openings of 4 stores here in Davao with my co-brand manager, Dex.

This is starting to feel like a sick deja vu from 2016.

Dis Me

Look, Ma a medal!


Yes, Romel? 



Awesomesauce



TUNA PANGAAAA!


We opened 4 stores in 2 days, which means these days were packed with sweat, heat, fatigue, and food coma. Imagine, we had lechon EVERY FRICKING TIME we had the grand opening! The food presented to us were good, particularly the panga, or the jaw of the tuna which was marinated before grilled- and best eaten with soy sauce and calamansi. On top of that, we were spoiled rotten with in-season fruits, which unfortunately includes the infamous Durian-which made my burp smell awful, even if I had the durian a couple of hours ago (and I had eaten other food already).
Pretty much sums up how my burp looks like
I am baffled as to how come other people love this non-fragrant fruit 🤨🤔 For those who haven't eaten it yet, Durian tastes bitter, then after a little more chewing, it becomes a little bit sweeter. But I assure you, you wouldn't even want the taste of Durian stay in your mouth for more than a second. Also, the smell sticks on your hand!!! According to one of the Area Managers, the way to get rid of the smell is by putting the skin of the fruit on the running water, then you wash your hands with it, ang labo diba?



Speaking of food, we also had our dinner in Golden Brown Chicken restaurant which serves... Chicken! Hahaha🍗🍗🍗

CHEKIIIIN! 
The restaurant claims that they are the first roasted chicken in Davao. We had the set meal for 4, when in fact it's only me and Dex who had dinner 🤷‍♀️ We had to finish a whole platter of Pancit Canton and a whole chicken, which tastes good but not significantly remarkable.










Dem bird iz espenzive

Brethren




Since we were only given limited time to spend in Davao, we had to sneak in some time for fun by going to the Philippine Eagle Foundation to learn more about animals- because lo and behold they also have various animals in there like boars and a lone crocodile. 

The Philippine Eagle Foundation is a conservation center that takes care of animals, particularly those that are nearing endangered status, like eagles and some monkeys. It also champions the protection of our forests, given that this place is located at the foot of  the highest peak in The Philippines, Mt. Apo. If you are from Manila, like me, you'd find similarity to this place with La Mesa Ecopark sans the animals. 

For more details, you can check out there site HERE



One thing I also find strangely amusing are old malls and shopping complex(es?) and hey Mindanao is the best place to go to for these. There's nothing really notable about them old Gaisano malls, but I actually enjoy going to these not-so-bright, and slightly decapitated malls. I supposed I have developed these odd penchant for old malls that seemed to have been preserved from the late 90's during my visit in Valencia, Bukidnon around 3 years ago (and yes, it was for work too!).

I remember Valencia being this chill sleepy town in the mountains of Bukidnon, where their main mall is this old Gaisano mall. For some reason I felt like I found solace in that place, where no matter how sleepy and sad the state of the place looks like, I sort of found comfort in it. When I was in this particular branch of Gaisano in Davao, I have somehow felt the same 'feeling'. Basta ang labo di ko maiexplain talaga.





Delish


After showing this to my mom, she now wants to put this kind of wallpaper at home 🙈🤑🙈






Last on my list of stuff done in Davao was a quick breakfast at this chic café in Poblacion, Davao called Bramble. Aside from having an aesthetically appealing interior fit for an instagram shout out, I must say they serve delicious croissants that is best paired with a simple Americano. The price range of the food here is quite expensive, but by the looks of those baked goodies, I bet they are delicious 👌

And basically, that's it! My quick work trip to Davao was exhausting, but I actually enjoyed it because aside from being stuffed full with the most delicious dishes, I actually learned more about Davao, and how often misunderstood Mindanao is. Now I can't wait for another work trip in November, now from CDO to Davao-That sounds fun 👏🤙


Love Always,

Nicole

You May Also Like

0 Comments