The Yakult Way at The Vietnam Fine Arts Museum #NicGoesToHanoi Day 3

by - November 16, 2018

I've always inserted the 'yakult' reference in my blog for soooo many times nakakairita na !!! HAHAHA! However, I'll make this one an exception, because this day during our Hanoi trip was definitely about learning a thing or two about Vietnamese culture through their art.

... and the shakiest hand go tooooo.... HAHAHA!
Since we were able do some light shopping on our 2nd day, we figured why not go to a museum? As much as I could, I always try to go to museums in every country I travel to. I figure that going to one will give an explanation as to why a country is that way, despite going to a fine arts museum just like the one we visited in Hanoi. Vietnam Fine Arts Museum is about 10 minutes away from our hotel at the old quarters. Going there we took a grab ride, since Grab rides are reasonably priced, and there is no hassle in booking one.




Before going inside the museum, you must pay first the entrance fee of 40,000 Vietnamese Dong for adults, and 20,000 Vietnamese Dong for kiddies at the annex part near Helio cafe. There, they provide lockers, should you wish to stow away a couple of your belongings, giving you a hassle-free time exploring the lovely artworks inside the museum.

So, what's inside the museum? Short answer: Art. Long Answer? Check out the photos below:













Ancient Kyutix





It's an obvious thing to say that their artworks, particularly their sculptures, are heavily influenced by religion and belief. Aside from the different kinds of Buddha, one can also see the influence of their beliefs in ancestral spirits and deities. There are sculptures of fairies intricately carved in wood that dates back hundreds of years ago. Aside from religion, there are also an abundant of sculptures of old leaders and royal figures scattered on the 1st floor. You'll see different kings, queens, and princesses, all of which I remember are in lotus position. 

On the 2nd floor you'll see different paintings. I wasn't able to take photos then, not because it's not allowed, but I seemed to have forgotten because I got engrossed by all the pieces. But if I were to describe majority of their paintings in the museum, I have noticed that the color scheme of the pieces are predominantly black, grey, and red. They are very dark, sad, and it was quite rare to see a painting with a happy subject, since majority of the pieces show people leaving their families behind. Compared to the pieces done by our homegrown talents like Amorsolo, Hidalgo, and even Luna, where they also created whimsical pieces (think of Juan Luna's Portrait of a Lady), I can't remember seeing something blithe and cheerful in the museum. Of course, this does not imply that all the artworks by Vietnamese artists are all sad, nor did I not appreciate the artworks there, since the artworks presented in the museum actually acts as a storytelling machine of how Vietnam was, or even is. I guess I just got used to the pretty colors of Pinoy artworks at our own National Museum of Fine Arts.


I just wanna clap.

After the 2 hours of getting our yakult on, we decided to have some coffee at Helios cafe. BTW 20% off the total bill when you present you museum ticket to them.
Something popcorn.

Find yourself a person who'll look at you like how I look at that drink.

Anyhoo, the latter part of the day was spent by wasting money at the Lotte mall hahaha! Nothing really interesting there to be honest, so I'll end this post here, with a vain picture of me.

OOTD deeets: Hat from Dong Xuan Market (that's the only thing I got there), top from Ukay-ukay, Skort from Vietnam (from one of the stores near Vincom mall), Bag from Chat Chat (which was a gift from my cousin :>), and my trusty Stan Smiths.

Love Always,
Nicole

You May Also Like

0 Comments