Crossing Shibuya and The Legend of Hachiko : #NicGoesToTokyo Day 3

by - October 08, 2019


If there is something I really regret not doing from my previous Tokyo trip last 2018, it would be having a photo with the famous Hachiko statue in Shibuya.

Back then, I remember feeling discouraged to do so after seeing the long queue of tourists awaiting to have a little snippet of the faithful obedient Japanese Akita, that is Hachiko. Also, I felt that it was corny and too touristy to allot time for a simple photo.

Who can resist this bibi boi?
But things have clearly turned upside down, because for this trip I became determined to have a picture with this good boi, totally disregarding the fact that it is too touristy, because c'mon I am a tourist! Hahahaha! There's no point in trying to appear like a local by not doing these usual tourist activities, just so to be cool or something.

LOL
By the way, to those who doesn't have an inkling who Hachiko is, Hachiko is a very loyal dog to his hooman Professor Ueno, where he would meet him at a train station after a long day at the university. One day, Professor Ueno died, but Hachiko didn't know his hooman died, so for nine years he'd continue going to the train station waiting for Professor Ueno. Now, that's loyalty.

With that, for the 3rd day we went around Shibuya and Shinjuku, and basically savour the city energy by walking around interesting stops, and shop for cutesy stuff.



Pasok na tayo sa Iskuuul.

We are the 1/4 out of the whole group.

Our day started a bit late, because my cousins had a hardcore drinking session the night before, so they woke up pretty late, hence the reason we got into Shibuya station at around 1 P.M. already.



Free Origami Shurikens for kids :) 




We head out to Shibuya station to take photos with the Hachiko statue, as well as take photos (and videos) of the chaotic Shibuya crossing. For those who are planning to have their photos taken, there's a kind old man who volunteers to take photos of tourists, which is a good win for those who are either travelling solo, or would want a group photo with Hachiko. I'm pretty sure that old man is paid by their tourism board, because he even gives out Origami Shurikens to kids!

Oh, and expect a loooong line, because everyone wants a snap with this goode boi 🐶


Given that we are in Japan, might as well have Japanese food, and what better way to have it than to go to Marugame Udon HAHAHAHA! I have no idea why my cousins opt for this restaurant chain that is already available locally in the Philippines! To be honest, I couldn't even distinguish any difference between the original and the franchise in the Philippines, Naks ah!





Given that Meiji Shrine is 1 train stop away, it is natural to avail of this chance and go visit that wonderful place. It's my first time to visit this place, so everything is new, and there's this magical feeling of uncertainty of what I'll see there-because I did not research about it prior our visit, just checked how far it is from the Shibuya Hachiko station 👏🙃




Because I have no idea what I'll see inside Meiji Jinju, I have no idea that we'll have to walk long distances before reaching the temple. For those people who always need a toilet in tow, don't fret, because mid-way there's a hub where you can go rest for a quick refreshment from the vendo machines (they have Asahi ones there that carries Bireley's Orange Juice!), or you can go pee-or do number 2, whatever floats your boat 🤗.

Before you get to see the temple, you can also opt to drop by the gardens, which has an entrance fee of ¥ 500, or Php 250/ $5. We did not go there anymore, because one of my cousin kept on having mosquito bites at that time huhu... but I shall visit it the next time I return to Tokyo!





I wish you the best, Bijay!
Inside the temple, there are corners where you can pray, and write down your wishes, on either a piece of paper, or these slabs of wood. Seeing all these prayers written in different language, is a clear testament that Meiji Jinju is a well-known destination in Tokyo.





Another big regret I had about my 2018 trip to Tokyo was not being able to pay a visit to the famous Takeshita street in Harajuki! Harajuki is a pop-culture melting pot full of amazing finds such as clothing and make-up waiting to be found in the most interesting nooks and crannies💄🥿🛍👗 

I remember back then, one of my ultimate go-to destintation in Japan was Harajuku, mainly because I was influenced by Gwen Stefani's quirky L.A.M.B. posse who hail from Harajuku hahaha! Also, I am fascinated with the multi-faceted fashion culture in Japan! It is intriguing how fashion is so conflicting in Japan, because upon my observation, the Japanese are either dressed up to blend in the crowd, or to steal the spotlight-and sometimes dressing up as the spotlight itself 🤷‍♀️


During last year's trip, I wasn't able to drop by this eclectic place, mainly because none of our agendas were nearby Harajuku-but hey, don't fret because at last, I finallt see my little piece of heaven here.



Preeeetty make-up awaits!


Travelling in a big group has it pros and cons, one of the cons would be the fact that you won't be able to go to places you really want to visit. Good thing after roaming around Harajuku, we all decided to go our own ways while settig a certain time for all of us to meet back in Shinjuku for a quick drink.

Just a quick tip, Google maps is your best friend in navigating places in Tokyo, rather than depending your directions on Waze's hands. So with the power of internet, I have ventured to the wild streets of Shibuya on my own, with Flying Tiger as my destination in mind.

While on my way there, here are some of the places I have seen:
Tokyu Plaza
Cute alley shoppes in Omotesando

While walking around Shibuya on my own, it made me realize how refreshing it is to wander to a different place alone. Don't get me wrong, I love being with a companion or two, but there are times where being alone is just better, and I must say this is one of those instances. Also, it feels funny playing this goofy movie in your head where you are acting as if you live in that place 😉

Given that Tokyo is super safe, it is ok to walk alone even in the wee hours of the night-but still, it doesn't hurt to be extra alert 🤙

Lastly, roam with Lost in Japan playing through your earphones, and proceed having a swell time in Tokyo 😉😉😉😉


Love Always,

Nicole 🌸

You May Also Like

0 Comments