19 vs. 24

by - November 07, 2017

Before I begin, let me get this straight, I am not here to compare Adele's albums (and ugh, it's 25 not 24 yow).

https://78.media.tumblr.com/bf750c1ee5f5e9ba757025c7e2803078/tumblr_o0xvp1hJb71r9dm6no2_r1_500.gif
But I'll always have time for you, Kweeeen!

Instead, this is a simple post comparing 19 years old Nicole from 25 years old Nicole. Why am I doing this? I don't know really, I should be doing a personal statement for University applications, but suddenly felt the urge to do this kind of post hahaha! But kidding aside, I suppose I just want to look back, at the same time re-evaluate how much I have changed NAKS!  Since one of my reasons why I started blogging was for the benefit of my future self, where I could go crawling back to this page to remind me how I was. Also, I think this is a great tool to introduce how I was to my kids someday, where they'll realize how awezuuum their mom was and still is. 

Anyway, let's get started by this:

1. 19 Year old Nicole is skinnier than 24 Year old Nicole.
19 year old Nicole can go bendy without the shame of a fat belly.

24 Year Old Nicole depends on angles, and the right clothing hacks.

I don't think it's surprising to see how most people get lumpier after they graduated from college/school, and I guess the main reason is the lack of funds for eating out. Since I didn't really come from a well-off family, my allowance is just enough to get by, enough to buy a Lovelite Bacon and Hotdog meal, and to save for a book hahaha-Basically the best thing you can buy with Php 55.I don't really indulge in all the yumminess of a Starbucks frappe, or any other calorie bombs back then. Nowadays, I get to earn my own money by working, I get to buy all the junk that I want, hence the additional flabs.

But aside the monetary difference, my metabolism drastically slowed down! Before, I could eat half a bilao of Pancit Malabon, and still wake up the next day with a flat stomach. That case is quite the contrary today! If I eat a piece of toast right now, tomorrow morning I am pregnant with
4 months-sized food baby! That's why I try to make sure to walk as much as I could, as a form of exercise (too lazy to go jogging hahahuhu), or try to incorporate a bit of sports when given the time.

2. 19 year old Nicole can stay awake until the wee hours, while 24 year old Nicole can sleep any time, any where.

http://eleanekollia.tumblr.com/
Me, now.

Perhaps I'm making up for all the times I didn't sleep when I was younger, that's why I'm always sleepy nowadays? I have no idea how can I be awake for 24 hours straight before without a drop of coffee in my bloodstream, however the case is very different nowadays. At present times, I would drink coffee, but would end up with a head ache, and an insurmountable urge to nap-anywhere, anytime! Huhuhu.

3. 19 year old Nicole reads A LOT, while 24 year old Nicole is too lazy to finish a book.
These are a few of my favorite things.

I remember back when I was a senior Communication Arts Student in UST, despite mountainous levels of readings (I shit you not, we read A LOT) thanks to Media Law, Marketing, Thesis, and other subjects, I still manage to read a novel at least once a month! But the case nowadays is the opposite of how I was. I don't get to read that much anymore, perhaps because there's a lot of distractions (looking at you Facebook and Instagram!) that reading had lost its luster in my eyes? The last book I truly enjoyed was Kevin Kwan's Rich People Problems, and that was last May!

Although, I'm trying to kick that lazy-lack-of-focus ways, and go back to reading! Heck, I even hoarded some books from National Bookstore this weekend, to jump-start myself to reading a lot once again. As of this moment, I'm reading Kinsella's My (not-so) Perfect Life, which I will blog about once I finished it hahaha!

4. 19 year old Nicole is addicted to hats and beanies, while 24 year old Nicole... not so much.
THAT PINK BEANIE and how it almost ended a relationship haha!
People who are close to me would definitely attest to that. I used to collect beanies in different colors, from different brands. The first one that I had was a gift from my cousin, Lot while prancing our ways to the once-new Forever 21 store in Megamall. Since then, I can't get enough of beanies! It was my style staple back then, much like Spinelli from that cartoon called Recess.


But that was in my youth HAHAHA Thunder cats here, nowadays I only wear hats when necessary, like when I'm at the beach, or when it's extremely sunny. I don't feel comfortable wearing a beanie now, I feel as if my scalp can't breathe when I have a crocheted thing on top of it. Also, I don't wear beanies as much as I did before, because I think it makes me look so young, and people tend not to take me seriously :/

5. 19 year old Nicole is determined that Advertising is her calling, while 24 year old Nicole is still testing the waters.
Hmmm
Amongst the myriad of areas Communication Arts have, Advertising and Marketing are the subjects I love the most. I found it very intriguing, and fun, that I was certain that after finishing college I'll work in an Advertising agency right away.

But of course, that's not the case here. After graduating, I ended up working in a BPO for a real estate company called Amicassa Process Solutions, Inc., which was a far cry from my goal of being part of Publicis JimenezBasic's workforce. While working in Amicassa, I absolutely dreaded my work! I remember even thinking of bailing out, and just stop going to work hahaha! But the adult in me decided to strive, and work hard-and also, I have amazing colleagues that made everyday bearable.

Eventually I ended up in an Advertising agency, and from then on I've been employed to various companies in different industries. At a glance, to HR officers especially, a person who's been through 5 different jobs in 4 years is a red flag, and yes, I do understand where they are coming from. But come to think of it, if I hadn't gone through all those work, I don't think I'd be as adaptable and versatile, which is a good thing.

As of now, I enjoy my work in a production house, but who knows perhaps next year I'll be in London studying *fingers crossed*

6. 19 year old Nicole thought she'll most likely get married at 23, while 24 year old Nicole does not want to get married anytime soon.


Bling bling bling!
First and foremost, I've got nothing against people who got married or will get married at a young age, in fact I think it's really sweet, and fortunate to be able to marry your one true love sooner, in that way you get to spend more time with them. When I was 19, I thought I will end up marrying the guy I was with at that time, when I reach the age of 23. I remember thinking then, 'Ok so this is the plan, after graduating I will apply in an Advertising agency, while he'll work in his chosen industry. By the time I'm 23, and he's 26, we'll be able to climb the career ladder by then, and eventually get married'. Just thinking about that made me want to laugh right now hahahaha! I didn't even incorporated my dream of studying in London in that plan, I was just fixated on choosing to want to be with the guy in the future.

Fast forward to 5 years later, I have no plans of getting married anytime soon. Currently I'm in a loving relationship, but marriage is not in the near future for me and my boyfriend. I mean, sure I do get excited in thinking about weddings, especially in designing how my future wedding gown will look like (with a beaded hooded cape, of course!), but that's just it hahaha! For me, at the moment, the only commitment I'm investing on right now is to find opportunities to be able to study in London. Marriage can wait, but my dreams can't.

Me, in every wedding.
There are still a lot of changes between the skinny, naive, but fiercely determined 19 year old Nicole, and the always hungry 24 year old Nicole, but I'd narrow it down to this 6 only ;)

Love Always,

Nicole




You May Also Like

0 Comments