A Quick Post: Playtime Polly

by - November 06, 2017


90's is the best; it was the decade that gave us Nirvana (I don't really listen to them, but they're great, I suppose),  the TV Show Friends, Spice Girls, Play Station 1, Rugrats, Tamagotchi, and other awesome things that I'm willing to trade my marbles for. But among the amazing stuff that the 90's gave us that I truly cherish, it has to be the toys!

http://nostalgicgifs.tumblr.com/
Genius, I tell you!
One particular toy that rocked my world has to be Polly Pocket. Although Polly Pocket was originally released at the end of the 80's, its popularity boomed in the 90s. According to Wikipedia, it was originally sold by British brand, Blue Bird Toys, until it was acquired by Mattel (you can check it here).

For those who have no idea what Polly Pocket is or mga batang di mahal ng magulang nila hahahkbye, Polly Pocket are these powder compact-like toys, that when you open them it'll reveal a house-like interior, and it comes with around 2-3 tiny characters/inhabitants. How tiny, you ask? An average of a cm.

Poly and the gang are usually just a cm short, but there are some that are bigger (2-3cm long), like these ones

Throughout the years, Polly Pocket has evolved, and released different models that have different shapes, and some are bigger than the ones you can slip in your pocket. They even released a version where the circular platform of the Polly Pocket Characters have magnets, so when you put them in their stage location, you can make it appear they are performing by moving them with a contraption that controls the magnet underneath the stage. Quite nifty for an 8 year old Nicole, actually.

You see that purple pulley thing? That's what I was talking about.

Aside from those, Polly Pocket also had collaborations with Disney, hence the creation of mini worlds from various Disney movies. I remember back then, the most majestic one was Cinderella's castle (it's the one in the picture, with the hand partially covering it hahaha!), that my dad even put it on top of my birthday cake when I turned 7 years old hahaha!Aside from Cinderella, I remember seeing a Beauty and The Beast themed Polly Pocket as well, but I wasn't able to buy it that time, because Salon Surprise Barbie was released the same time the Beauty and The Beast hit off the shelves. Anyway, there are sooooo many different models of Polly Pocket toys, that just thinking about them now makes me want to go back home and play with 'em!

The Dwarves' hut from Walt Disney's Snow White and The Seven Dwarves

Each bed has a designated name for every dwarves!
This The Little Mermaid has been my favorite!
Such a beauty
Cinderella's home before she became a Princess.
Cinderella's room

The classic


You can put water here, then you get to pump out the water in the slides.



Polly Pocket has been a major part of my childhood, primarily because it was with this toy that I get to bond with my older sister- by bond, fight with her after she accused me of losing some of the characters, but only to find out that she had that teeeeeny tiny characters in her pocket. Aside from that, nothing compares the excruciating pain you get when you step on one of the characters- oh wait, it's almost the same as stepping on legos! Hahaha! Though, one sad thing about Polly Pocket is, they don't sell these beauties anymore. Upon checking various toy stores, it feels as if Polly Pocket was some sort of myth, because they vanished from the shelves. Mattel doesn't distribute them anymore, even the bigger Polly Pocket line. It's just sad that kids nowadays won't be able to enjoy this brand :(

Another unfortunate thing? I wasn't able to salvage the teeny characters from each set, and the ones I was able to salvage weren't even the lead ones! Like I managed to save Lady Tremaine from the Cinderella set, Prince Eric from The Little Mermaid set, one dwarf out of the 7 from the Snow White one, and none from The Hunchback of Notre Dame one. The dwarf I was able to save wasn't even Sneezy, the most popular one! Hahaha! Given this, it gave my boyfriend the idea that I should re-make the characters by using polymer clay, in this way I my niece, Julianna can enjoy the play sets when she gets a bit older (she's only 2, not advisable to give these yet).

With that, will be needing more polymer clay *wink wink*

Love Always,

Nicole

P.S.

Do you also have one of these? You should check this out, and I'll bet you'll be clicking ebay after checking that one out ;) ;)

You May Also Like

0 Comments